Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Exotic Botanicals Project

Welcome to my blog! This is  a place I have created to share work in progress, advances in my business as a surface pattern designer and also contribute with inspiration ideas. I hope you keep coming back!

Today's post is about one of my coming projects for this summer. I am starting a new collection of prints with no specific purpose other than experiment with different flower shapes. Lately I feel that I have been using the same kind of flower, a lilly kind, which I really love to work with. With that in mind, I have been doing a lot of research, going thru tons of botanical drawings, and more technical plant manuals that are already adding a full list of exotic fabulous florals. Included are carnivorous plants, ginger, agapanthus, passion flower and many more.
While looking for different sources I found this great book that I really recommend, the illustrations are beautiful and the subject variety is amazing.
Exotic Botanical Illustration: With the Eden Project by Rosie Martin and Meriel Thurstan  
My intention with this project is also to sketch more which I have lately replaced it with drawing on my Wacom tablet, is more about going back to basics, paper and pencil. My sketchbook is ready, my pencils sharpen, and I am ready to go! 

My moodboard for this coming collection is looking something like this:




More about the progress of this and other projects coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment